Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Fun

Last night we moved the 5 month-old little guy into his crib. He's been too big for the bassinet for a few months now, I was just putting off the inevitable. Last night was the final straw when his foot actually got caught in a handle opening of the fabric. That meant moving the nursing chair and myself into the baby's room. Of course any transition for babies comes with a penalty, so he was up twice as often and had that much of a harder time getting to sleep.

In the morning, Aaron and the girls were nice enough to let me sleep late, though and I got to sleep until 8 AM. I could have slept later if Victoria didn't have a crazy-loud meltdown. I was presented with hand-made mother's day cards from both girls. No present because I'm a waffler and can't figure out what I want (or at least what I want that I'm also willing and able to pay for). After that, I enjoyed some pancakes for breakfast (hubby's Sunday morning breakfast) which I didn't even cook. We then loaded the kids, ourselves, some hammers, a crow bar, a nail claw, and a metal bar into the car for a ride around town.

some hammers, a crow bar, a nail claw, and a metal bar???

Yep! I recently found out that there's a place RIGHT NEAR US that has an old garnet mine. It's called Green's Garnet Mine in Southbury, CT. These aren't gem quality minerals, but when you have two kids who like to collect rocks, that hardly matters. We spent an hour getting lost (though we found a really old cemetary from the 1700s) and then found the place! It's someone's house.

You pay $3 per car (by putting the money under the front mat). We were quite stumped. Here we were at some stranger's house, walking in their driveway and yard not quite knowing what to do. Soon a cute, furry dog greets us a trots off down a path to the left of the garage. What else could we do but follow him. Lo and behold--the clever pooch led us to the exact spot.We didn't know what to expect. It was called a mine and I didn't know if there would be anything obvious or not. It turns out that it was just a sharp valley in the hill. There were a few other rock hunters chipping away. They had quite an impressive haul--though it turns out we did quite well ourselves. In many places the rock was chipped away leaving exposed garnets. The garnets were obvious where they were imbedded in the rock. We found a number that were a quarter-inch and half-inch in diameter. Hubby found some that were three-quarters of an inch. They were obvious by their color and their shape. We spent a couple of hours pounding and digging. Of course I forgot my camera, but here are some of the best samples.

After a hard day with hammers and crow bars, we headed out to the local Friendly's for dinner. By then we were quite ready for a rest.

No comments: